Re: O: Gnus -- A versatile News and mailing list reader for Emacsen.

>         In this case, there have been deeply felt and vehement
>  protests for Debian removing a critical subset of the software
>  shipped with make/gnus, with people appealing to keep the code
>  together with the docs even if it meant removing the package to
>  non-free.  Upstream is strongly opposed to removing the non-free
>  documentation; to imply this is upstreams project (with a perhaps
>  unreleased version) seems deceptive to my eyes.

It's free software.  They don't get to make those demands.

>         Not acknowledging it in the package name, but pretending it is
>  just a new upstream version, bothers me.

The version is not the only documentation.  The "dfsg" tag in version
names means not "this is the upstream dfsg version", it means "this is
the Debian-modified version, where the only modifications made were
those we did to make the package meet the DFSG."

Thomas