Re: O: Gnus -- A versatile News and mailing list reader for Emacsen.

>         Also, other people doing what I consider unethical is not
>  really much of a motivating factor for me to follow the same
>  unethical practice.  I might not be haranguing other folks, since
>  there ethos may well differ from mine, but I am not alone in
>  considering fake "upstream" versions to imply that there is a dfsgf
>  free upstream version of the package as deceptive.

I can see that it is confusing to change the version number, but
I don't see why it is unethical.  When I repackaged Autoconf to
drop the documentation, I added a suffix to the version number.
In retrospect I would have chosen a suffix different from the one
I did choose, but I didn't think then that it was an unethical
thing to do, nor do I think so now.  It's confusing and
undesirable, but not, in my opinion, unethical.
--
Ben Pfaff
email: blp@cs.stanford.edu