Re: removal of svenl from the project

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 02:34:27PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> I can't help but get the impression Daniel may have prematurely
> discounted the patch - admittedly I may not understand the issues
> though.

I dismissed the X patch Sven sent me because it was fundamentally wrong.
No amount of changes to it would've influenced the fact that I rejected
the entire premise behind the patch.

I had nothing to do with the kernel patch.

> Most likely all parties involved from room for improvement. Making a
> developer a scapegoat on a public mailing list isn't going to make
> anybody improve their behaviour

FWIW, I do not think public mailing lists are the place for these kinds
of arguments.

> I get the impression Sven has contributed a lot to get Linux working
> on Pegasos.

Yes, he has.

> Do we really want to force him to leave? I think not.

Apparently the people behind this motion do.

Debian seems to have this peculiar disease where people think that the
other side just can't possibly have understood what they're actually
doing, so if you explain it in condescending tones on mailing lists,
then surely they'll see the error of their ways and back down.

'Well, I *was* going to expel Sven, but someone on -devel asked a
rhetorical question, followed by "I think not", so I'm withdrawing my
support.'

Unfortunately for this school of thought, (most) Debian developers are
capable of rational thought and reasoning, so this doesn't actually
work.