Re: removal of svenl from the project

    Daniel> However I don't think you'd be right to hold a grudge
    Daniel> against anyone who refused to apply it.  If Matthew raised
    Daniel> some issues with your patch, why did you not fix them?
    Daniel> Surely removing a debugging printk and moving the #include
    Daniel> to the head of the file would've been pretty obvious.

Is holding a grudge against somebody grounds for expelling the
developer? I think not.

    Daniel> It's not an isolated event, either.  My refusal to apply a
    Daniel> patch which was unprecedented in the xorg packaging, for
    Daniel> an issue that I feel (with not insignificant
    Daniel> justification) is a purely hardware issue was presented as
    Daniel> me hating on Pegasos.  Similarly, your refusal to fix the
    Daniel> patch you provided was also presented as the kernel team
    Daniel> despising you and the Pegasos.  (Money being paid or no.
    Daniel> Principles are principles, mmm?)

Based on this quote:

I would suggest that there might be better techniques one can use to
influence somebody to apply a patch. Burning bridges not included.

I can't help but get the impression Daniel may have prematurely
discounted the patch - admittedly I may not understand the issues
though.

Most likely all parties involved from room for improvement. Making a
developer a scapegoat on a public mailing list isn't going to make
anybody improve their behaviour, more likely the person is going to
get defensive and refuse to admit they did anything wrong (as this
thread demonstrates, or at least what I have read so far - all parties
seems to be saying: I am right - you are wrong).

I get the impression Sven has contributed a lot to get Linux working
on Pegasos. Do we really want to force him to leave? I think
not. Would it achieve anything beneficial? I think not.

So everyone calm down.  Then consider what *you* could have done
differently to avoid this conflict from arising. Do so in such a way
you are not blaming anyone else, no matter how much you might dislike
the other people involved. If you are game, provide a list
here. Otherwise, consider sending a private letter of apology to the
other party for anything you could have done differently.

Then once you have done this, realize there is only one thing left to
do. Find the guilty party. There is only one guilty party. IT WAS ALL
TUX' FAULT! TUX IS EVIL! EXPEL TUX NOW! BURN TUX!
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>