Re: NEW queue backing up again -- ftpmasters, any explanation or comment?

On 13-Mar-06, 17:11 (CST), Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:
> Brr, there was no such decision, so no need to inform anything anywhere.
> It was more a "try to not grow that fast for now, and try to remove
> stuff when you add new things". That was after the archive growing
> superfast in a very short timeframe, due to some multiple uploads of big
> packages in a row.

Such a decision is a debian level policy decision that should be
discussed with the developers, not something that the ftpmasters should
be unilaterally implementing[1].

At minimum, there should *absolutely* be a message to d-d-a. It
doesn't have to be a dissertation, just a quick "Because of the recent
rapid growth in the repository size, we're temporarily throttling NEW
processing to give the mirrors a chance to catch up."

[1] Unless the repo is simply out of disk space, in which case you
should also be making an announcement and asking for help.

Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net