Re: NEW queue backing up again -- ftpmasters, any explanation or comment?

#include <hallo.h>
* Petter Reinholdtsen [Mon, Mar 13 2006, 11:00:47AM]:

> Ouch.  If that is true, I hope ftpmasters will announce it to the
> developers, as a blocked NEW hinders development of Debian and should
> not we a surprise.  An announcement would at least give us some idea
> on when the NEW holding will end, and let us plan ahead.

What do you think about semi-formal planing system with a web-based
tracker? Imagine, a simple site where key developers can store notes in
a well defined format - using a web interface, or via email.  Offering
RSS-feed, of course. A base format would even allow to crete
business-like forkflow plans.

Contents like:

---
Actor: SRM
Name: zobel (sorry zobel, it has too look authentic ;-)
Context: Stable Upgrade
Task: manual checks of update severities
State: scheduled (2005-03-20..2005-03-31)
ETA: 5 days
Assistance required: none
Dependends: access permissions (delegate:FTPMASTER),
    ready-for-update signal (delegate:FTPMASTER),
    sudo security upgrade CVE-... (maintainer:sudo)
---

In theory, the task it depends one may even be automaticaly created and
wait for beeing done/closed by other stakeholders. I would call this
thing TTS (task tracking system) - and there may be already existing
free software for this job which we can adapt, I have not searched yet.

Oh, and yes, that is extra work I would expect from volunteers. But this
simple things would improve many things people are complaining about -
intransparency, missing roadmap, avoiding communication etc.
And I would also explain every developer in a key position to use this
system. There is IMO no justification for simple hiding - no matter how
important your role may look.

Eduard.

--
Ambassador Londo Mollari: What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?
                                                 -- Quotes from Babylon 5 --