Re: Pre-Depends for Xorg 7.0

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 09:54:54PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> writes:
> > Right. The everything that you'd expect to go in to /usr/bin and
> > /usr/lib will install there, at least as far as Xorg goes. An example of
> > that is that the new xterm package installs to /usr/bin rather than
> > /usr/X11R6/bin.  I haven't finished the packaging of everything, but it
> > seems that some of the header files are put in to differenct dirs of
> > /usr/include. I'll investigate the reasoning for this further. As for
> > /usr/lib/X11, data files like fonts currently go in there.
>
> I understand why /usr/include/X11 and /usr/lib/X11 would stay; after all,
> those are perfectly reasonable names for what they are currently symlinks
> to.  I don't understand why /usr/bin/X11 wouldn't go away completely, at
> least for the programs that come with X.  Maybe that's the plan and the
> above is just a bit confusing since all three of those directories aren't
> treated quite the same way?

Right. See Colin's mail and my reply for /usr/bin/X11. I'd forgotten that
this one is a symlink to /usr/bin. The others are made in to directories.
/usr/share/X11 is as well.

> Does upstream imake still dump everything into /usr/X11R6 or has it too
> been modified to use a more conventional installation structure?  (Or is
> imake going away completely?)
>
> I'd love it if imake itself just used a better directory layout, since
> it's going to be a *long* time before everything that currently uses imake
> switches to some other build system (even if that's been in progress for
> years).

Nathanael is right about imake. No one upstream is interested in
maintaining it. I'm planning on packaging it for use in Debian (I'm still
not sure which package it'll be in eventually) but as it's not being used
for X any more I'm not particularly inclined to do much with it myself.

 - David Nusinow