Re: Pre-Depends for Xorg 7.0

David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:15:23AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
>> David Nusinow wrote:

>>> Currently, it fakes FHS compliancy by creating various symlinks
>>> (/usr/include/X11, /usr/bin/X11, /usr/lib/X11) to the appropriate
>>> directories in /usr/X11R6. For 7.0, we need to make those symlinks
>>> become actual directories.

>> I thought that the idea instead was to move everything directly into
>> /usr/include, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib. Why keep the X11 subdirectories?

> Right. The everything that you'd expect to go in to /usr/bin and
> /usr/lib will install there, at least as far as Xorg goes. An example of
> that is that the new xterm package installs to /usr/bin rather than
> /usr/X11R6/bin.  I haven't finished the packaging of everything, but it
> seems that some of the header files are put in to differenct dirs of
> /usr/include. I'll investigate the reasoning for this further. As for
> /usr/lib/X11, data files like fonts currently go in there.

I understand why /usr/include/X11 and /usr/lib/X11 would stay; after all,
those are perfectly reasonable names for what they are currently symlinks
to.  I don't understand why /usr/bin/X11 wouldn't go away completely, at
least for the programs that come with X.  Maybe that's the plan and the
above is just a bit confusing since all three of those directories aren't
treated quite the same way?

>> What about all the packages that you don't control that also still put
>> things in /usr/X11R6? Recall that policy allows this for anything still
>> using Imake, as well as mandating it for any package containing X
>> fonts.

> Right, they're still allowed to as far as I'm concerned. It's basically
> that Xorg is giving up claim on that directory in a sense. I don't know
> about the fonts issue given the above, I'll look in to that.

Does upstream imake still dump everything into /usr/X11R6 or has it too
been modified to use a more conventional installation structure?  (Or is
imake going away completely?)

I'd love it if imake itself just used a better directory layout, since
it's going to be a *long* time before everything that currently uses imake
switches to some other build system (even if that's been in progress for
years).