Re: Pre-Depends for Xorg 7.0

David Nusinow wrote:
>    One of the changes happening for Xorg 7.0 is that it will finally become
> FHS compliant.

FWIW, the FHS 2.1 specifies /usr/X11R6 in section 4.1. I can't see
anything FHS-incompliant about the current setup.

> Currently, it fakes FHS compliancy by creating various
> symlinks (/usr/include/X11, /usr/bin/X11, /usr/lib/X11) to the appropriate
> directories in /usr/X11R6. For 7.0, we need to make those symlinks become
> actual directories.

I thought that the idea instead was to move everything directly into
/usr/include, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib. Why keep the X11 subdirectories?

Note that the FHS has this to say about /usr/bin/X11 and friends:

  In general, software must not be installed or managed via the above symbolic
  links. They are intended for utilization by users only.

>    Because the remainder of the Xorg 7.0 packages will require this change
> to have taken place, they will have to pre-depend upon an appropriate
> version of x11-common. As such, I'm writing to the list in accordance with
> policy.

What about all the packages that you don't control that also still put
things in /usr/X11R6? Recall that policy allows this for anything still
using Imake, as well as mandating it for any package containing X fonts.

If the idea is to make /usr/*/X11 real directories and stop using
/usr/X11R6 then all those package would also need to be updated and have
a predependency added too. Seems easier just to move everything in X to
/usr/bin, /usr/include, and /usr/lib.

Also, moving stuff to /usr/bin/X11 and making it a real directory will
break things for anyone having /usr/X11R6/bin in their path instead. One
example of such a path is in pbuilder.

--
see shy jo