Re: For those who care about the GR

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 12:53:00PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:25:58 +0100, David N Welton <davidw@dedasys.com> said:

> > Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >> Looking over the arguments for and against it in -legal, I am
> >> trying to ascertain if this stance has a leg to stand on.

> > ... and ?

>         And what? If someone tries to bring through a GR stating that
>  MS office warez can be distributed in main since it meets the DFSG,
>  one might rule that as frivolous and a waste of time.

I'm not convinced the constitution gives the secretary the power to make
such a ruling.  There are no provisions in the constitution for the Project
Secretary to dismiss a GR -- *even* a GR stating that the Debian Project
holds the value of pi to be 3 -- so long as the GR has the requisite number
of seconds.

In the present case, I understand that the proposed ballot option is
ambiguous wrt whether it constitutes an implicit amendment to the foundation
docs, and that in the absence of clarification (in the form of a re-worded
proposal) on the part of the proposer, it is the project secretary's
prerogative to specify a supermajority requirement.  But I don't think that
extends to dismissing a GR that you happen to believe is inconsistent with
reality.

FWIW, aside from not being covered as a constitutional power of the
secretary, I think trying to stop a GR this way would be pretty darn futile.
If half of the project wants to vote in favor of saying pi=3, we're pretty
well screwed whether or not the vote actually happens.