Re: udev naming problems for eth*

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:54:32PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Interfaces renaming must be handled by udev because if it's not then
> network hotplug handlers will be called with the wrong interface name.

When are those network hotplug handlers called?

I've got udev loading the network drivers, then ifrename assigning fixed
names, then whereami or ifupdown configuring the network. Where are the
problems in this configuration? Is there a problem if the device was
removed for example (pcmcia, usb etc)?

Pre-udev I fixed this by adding modules to /etc/modules, which was
processed before hotplug ran. Now udev runs earlier, making /etc/modules
much less useful. :(

thanks

Hamish