Re: udev naming problems for eth*

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Jan 19, Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias <egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es> wrote:
>>
>> Merging that into Debian would mean that udev would replace some
>> ifupdown planned functionality.
> Wrong.

I think that ifupdown maintainers are the ones who can say that for
sure, looking at the bugs I didn't get that impression.

> OTOH it would be useful if ifupdown allowed reporting to udev the name
> of an interface given its MAC address.
>
> Interfaces renaming must be handled by udev because if it's not then
> network hotplug handlers will be called with the wrong interface name.

The point is to call them with the kernel generated name, and let them
to rename the iface. The bad is that then ifupdown should look at
sysfs or some other place to get again the interface info.

Regards,

Emilio