Re: udev naming problems for eth*

On Jan 19, Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias <egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es> wrote:

> I've looked into the Suse sysconfig package, and it includes all the
> network configuration utils, such as ifup and dhcp handling, and
> they're coupled with the udev rules. As previously said those
Look harder, because there is no reason to couple them.

> Merging that into Debian would mean that udev would replace some
> ifupdown planned functionality.
Wrong.

OTOH it would be useful if ifupdown allowed reporting to udev the name
of an interface given its MAC address.

Interfaces renaming must be handled by udev because if it's not then
network hotplug handlers will be called with the wrong interface name.

--
ciao,
Marco