Re: Debian derivatives and the Maintainer: field (again)

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

>> Interestingly, the DCC Alliance says that it wants to become part of
>> Debian.
>>
>> Do you have information on their plans with respect to the issues
>> discussed in this thread?
>
> The DCCA distribution is a mixture of packages from Sarge plus some
> backports. In all cases, the Maintainer: field appears to be the same as
> in Debian. Several derived distributions (gnuLinEx, Knoppix, Mepis,
> Linspire, Progency, Sun-Wah, UserLinux (ha ha ha) and Xandros) are
> supposed to be using these packages in an unmodified form, as I
> understand it.

Have they modified these packages?

What do they do about version numbering of recompilations?  (Do they
recompile?)

Do they modify the packages at all?

It seems like they aren't doing the things which annoy me in the case
of Ubuntu, but it's possible I don't understand enough.