Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

Hello Joey,

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Joey Hess wrote:
> Leaving ubuntu out of this, what puzzles me about your message, Raphael,
> is this:
>
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > If you have some uploads pending, and would like to see those packages
> > included [...]
>
> > If for whatever reason you don't want to upload the new package to Debian
> > directly [...]
>
> This seems to assume that
>
> a) There might be a lot of Debian developers who have some upload ready
>    to go but are sitting on them for some reason.

Not really... it happens quite often that I plan on working on a new
upstream version (or whatever) but for various reasons, I do not prioritze
it much because I know I will do it in time for etch... however I may be
interested to have that better version in Ubuntu as well instead of the
actual version (which may be too buggy in my opinion). If I don't know
about the Ubuntu freeze, I may miss the opportunity to work on it in time...

> b) There might be a lot of Debian developers who are more interested in
>    contributing to other distributions rather than Debian, or who don't
>    know how to upload to experimental or something.

I can only imagine that it may be interesting in some particular cases,
for example when Ubuntu has already done a transition that Debian hasn't
and where we know that the packages in Ubuntu and in Debian can't be the
same.

> What I don't understand is why you'd think that either group is large
> enough to warrant a post to d-d-a. Do Debian developers habitually delay
> uploading packages that are ready to go? Is there some reason why Debian
> developers who are no longer interested in contributing to Debian
> shouldn't be shown the door?

I hope I have better explained why I thought it was relevant.

BTW, I'll take the opportunity of your mail (which is the only
public response which is actually constructive) to give some facts and
conclusion about this announce :
- I received 2 private emails saying that this should have gone to -devel
- I received 3 private emails thanking me for the announce and the effort I do
to favor the cooperation between Ubuntu and Debian
- of course, there have been lots of discussion on IRC and on the list
- there's the stupid mail to d-d-a from Andrew Suffield (which should be
  tought how to reply by private email to simply tell me that this should
  have gone to -devel (like others have done))

I won't reuse d-d-a for this purpose and I'll ask Lucas Nussbaum (who
asked me to forward this announce) to publish those himself directly on
-devel in the future (he has been subscribed for a long time).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog