Re: Ironies abound (was Re: GPL v3 draft)

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> Patch clauses only prohibit code reuse if your build system is
>> insufficiently complicated.
>
> And you are willing to contain an entire copy of the codebase from
> which you are extracting. [Unless the patch clause is per-file...]

Oh, sure. But bandwidth and disk space are relatively cheap commodities
compared to what they used to be. If the Linux source tree contained an
entire copy of the BSD kernel source, I doubt anyone would really bat an
eyelid. It's certainly an inconvenience, but I don't think it really
prevents anything of any great interest.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org