Re: Need for launchpad

Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> I have only said that I would like Ubuntu to clearly label
> which is the Debian maintainer and which is the Ubuntu maintainer.

Thing is, in ubuntu - we don't neccesarily have "maintainers" for packages.

We use a collaborative process - anyone who had access can modify the
package. Basically - many many people can change a package, which can be
confusing for people.

Usually, there is someone you can contact regarding a specific package, and
it will either be dealt with by that person, or passed on to the relevant
person.

Personally, I used to use the ubuntu bugzilla to see who to contact
regarding a specific package, whoever the bug was assigned to was the
person to contact - but I'm not sure how to get that information now.

It's basically a fact that most people outside of ubuntu don't know the
structure within ubuntu of wo to contact about certain packages etc etc - I
know I've had problems myself, but usually, you will have a specific person
taking care of a package in main.

I think that this is a big problem, and could easily be solved by having
either proper QA contacts for packages, or at least having a list somewhere
of who to contact for what package.