Re: Need for launchpad

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 05:49:40PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> I don't buy this. The impression that just about everyone has of this
> didn't come from nowhere.

Not from nowhere, no.  The statements that Ubuntu "steals users from
Debian", "wants to kill Debian", etc. came from somewhere, too, but that
somewhere wasn't Ubuntu.

> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/relationship
>
>   "Sponsored by Canonical, the Ubuntu project attempts to work with
>   Debian to address the issues that keep many users from using Debian."

Ubuntu does attempt to work with Debian.

>   "When Ubuntu developers fix bugs that are also present in debian packages
>   -- and since the projects are linked, this happens often -- they send
>   their bugfixes to the Debian developers responsible for that package in
>   debian and record the patch URL in the debian bug system."

Ubuntu does submit such patches, though "bugs which were reported to Debian
and consequently fixed by Ubuntu developers" would be more accurate.  I'll
suggest that change.

>   "First, Ubuntu contributes patches directly to Debian"

The word "directly" is somewhat misleading here; in general, Ubuntu
developers are not allowed (by Debian) to make any change "directly" to
Debian.  I will suggest that it be removed.

> I think that's what serves to create a pretty strong impression that Ubuntu
> is actually working very closely with Debian to do things like "address the
> issues that keep many users from using Debian." From the sound of this
> thread everyone would welcome what's on that page with open arms.

I can't agree.  From the sound of this and other threads, there are a number
of folks who are unlikely to be satisfied with any behavior on the part of
the Ubuntu project or its members.  Fortunately, there are others who are
actively cooperating to the mutual benefit of the two projects.

--
 - mdz