Re: Need for launchpad

On Friday 13 January 2006 12:04, Thomas Hood wrote:
> I agree that it would be nice if Ubuntu developers tried to get their
> changes into sid.  It is certainly not their responsibility to do so,

It isn't? Presumably they're that ones that want to remain close to Debian
(as any divergence means more work for them?)? So how is it the Debian
maintainers responsibility to go hunting for usefull patches?

Debian maintainers for the most part would love to not have to duplicate
work already done by Ubuntu. But at the moment I've seen lots of comments
by maintainers saying that in most cases it's currently more work to find
out if there's any usefull bits in the diffs between debian-ubuntu
packages, then to do the work themselves (for various reasons, which have
been mentioned before)

> but in my experience Ubuntu developers have been very cooperative when
> they have been approached.  So I don't see a big problem.

Ah, here we come to the heart of the problem: "when they have been
approached", this clearly points to the fact that the initiative for
synchronization between ubuntu and debian lies with Debian not Ubuntu (by
and large, some exceptions have been mentioned).

In the mean while Ubuntu proudly calls "ubuntu gives things back", whereas
in reality we mostly have a situation of "ubuntu will help debian
maintainers that want to take things back"

-> It's this misrepresentation of where (most of) the initiative lies which
   pisses people off.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)