Re: Need for launchpad

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> Ubuntu, while its license policy is somewhat less strict than the DFSG,
> is not drifting into closed-source software.  It's virtually unchanged
> since the project's inception.

The policy and development may be virtually unchanged since the project's
inception since I have no idea how many other closed-source components
such as Launchpad you've been working on from the beginning, but at least
the public face is drifting as those projects are deployed and become part
of the day-to-day work on Ubuntu.

And hey, as I said, if that's what you want to do, more power to you.  I'm
well aware that many in the free software community are quite happy to use
closed-source and/or commercial infrastructure toolsets and services.  The
advertising deluge that drowns me every time I try to look at Sourceforge
is a good reminder of that.  :)  However, the more that you deploy and
depend on closed-source tools, the less interesting Ubuntu is to me
personally.  (It's quite likely that you don't care, and that's fine.  I
don't really expect you to.)