Re: Need for launchpad

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 03:53:51PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 05:49:40PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> > I don't buy this. The impression that just about everyone has of this
> > didn't come from nowhere.
>
> Not from nowhere, no.  The statements that Ubuntu "steals users from
> Debian", "wants to kill Debian", etc. came from somewhere, too, but that
> somewhere wasn't Ubuntu.

I wasn't trying to argue those sentiments (since those are obviously
trollish hyperbole) but more that Ubuntu proudly states that it contributes
back to Debian. Do you honestly want to say that you guys aren't proud to
do this, and that you never say that it's going on?

<snip because I agree with your analysis of the web page and have nothing
to add to it specifically>

> > I think that's what serves to create a pretty strong impression that Ubuntu
> > is actually working very closely with Debian to do things like "address the
> > issues that keep many users from using Debian." From the sound of this
> > thread everyone would welcome what's on that page with open arms.
>
> I can't agree.  From the sound of this and other threads, there are a number
> of folks who are unlikely to be satisfied with any behavior on the part of
> the Ubuntu project or its members.  Fortunately, there are others who are
> actively cooperating to the mutual benefit of the two projects.

I agree with aj here that there's always going to be upset people who make
a lot of noise. The common theme that I've seen from this thread is for
Ubuntu developers to simply forward relevant patches to Debian and discard
the irrelevant ones. How feasible this is, I don't know, but it's something
to consider.

On the part about mutual cooperation, I hope we see more of it. I really
hope people from both sides make an effort to establish a working
relationship, since such things are far more effective and enjoyable than
pulling a patch sitting on a server.

 - David Nusinow