Re: Development standards for unstable

Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> writes:

> Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure how the existence of more
> packages that should be orphaned invalidates dealing with those that
> presently are.

> There's 169 orphaned packages today, why not do something about them?

The thing is... most of the orphaned packages are in fairly good shape.
Most of the orphaned packages are orphaned because they're obscure and the
person who cared about the package has left the project or run out of
time.  However, they are probably still working fine for people with those
obscure needs, and as such there isn't an obvious significant gain for
Debian by getting rid of them.

The packages in the worst trouble in Debian are not the orphaned ones.  By
pretty much every available QA measure we have (RC bugs, open bugs, bugs
without a response, lintian errors, time since last upload, etc.), almost
of the packages in the worst shape have a regular maintainer.