Re: Development standards for unstable

On Thu, January 12, 2006 14:23, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
>> Random ideas for negative consequences might include forced
>> orphaning by overriding maintainer fields to debian-qa, removal of
> Maybe this should not only be limited to packages with RC bugs... For a
> lot of packages with inactive maintainers, it might be best to not
> release them in etch.

While the package might not be of the quality we strive to achieve within
Debian; if a bug is not release critical we consider the bug not to be
serious enough to impact the packages' releaseworthyness. This is by
definition. Even if there are many of those bugs, they appearently do not
prevent the core functionality from working.

I very much agree that we should strive to make packages as good as
possible, but if users depend on a package and there are no real
showstoppers in it, we might do our users a better service with shipping
than with not shipping the package.

Thijs