Re: Development standards for unstable

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:52:13PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * David Nusinow (david_nusinow@verizon.net) [060112 21:47]:
> > On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:35:18PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > However, on the other hand feel free to create a "common maintained
> > > packages team" that adopts such packages :)
>
> > Isn't that pretty much what the qa team does?
>
> Not really. All qa-maintained packages are up for adoption or removal
> and are only maintained at a "if it breaks too bad".

Well, that's current practice, but nobody is stopping anyone to give a
little bit more care into QA packages...

That said, I do believe that if a package is unpopular enough that
nobody picks up maintaining it, even while it's orphaned, what the
prospects of the package are, and how much use it has to prolong its
life extraordinary. If you're sufficiently committed to a certain
package, you can just as well adopt it after all.

Also, I am wondering how much success such a 'common maintained packages
team' would have while there is a shortage of people caring for general
QA of orphaned packages or just on the archive at all.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl