Re: Need for launchpad

> * Russ Allbery:

>> Debian isn't perfect at this.  There are portions of the Debian
>> infrastructure where the exact version that Debian is running are not
>> necessarily available.  However, these are generally considered within
>> the project to be anomolies and Debian *does* have a general
>> committment to free software for its infrastructure.

> Is there such a commitment?  I did feel a bit strange to read the
> announcement that Debian welcomes highly proprietary solutions for its
> data storage, but I assumed that it was just me.

Well, this gets into the software vs. hardware thing, and while I
understand and even sympathize with people's feelings on free hardware and
free firmware, most of the free software community really does treat them
differently.  I don't really want to get into the debate in this thread
about whether or not this is justified, but the software portions are more
important to me personally.

And yes, I think there is a commitment.  I'm not sure that it's as strong
as it ideally could be, but I think it's stronger than any other major
Linux distro by far, and it's resulted in concrete changes in the past
(for example, Debian's project mailing list servers are no longer running
qmail, even though qmail, as non-free software goes, is almost, but not
quite, free).