Re: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=265920

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 13:04, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Matthew Garrett [Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:50:56 +0000]:
> > Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
> > > i've thought for a long time about how to reply to your message.
> >
> > Let's quickly outline what's happened here:
> >
> > 1) Luke files a bug agains Debian. So far, so good.
> > 2) Some time later, Luke contacts a KDE developer and asks if the bug
> > has been fixed.
> > 3) The response is, approximately, "This is the first I've heard of it".
> >
> > We (Debian) have a bug tracking system in order to keep track of bugs in
> > our distribution. It's the job of either the bug submitter or (more
> > usually) the Debian maintainer to contact upstream to make sure that
> > they're aware of the bug. It is *not* the upstream maintainer's job to
> > examine Debian's bug database.
> >
> > Which is, uh, pretty much what Dirk said. Luke, what the christ are you
> > upset about? Nobody's said "Don't report this bug to us", they've said
> > "If you report a bug to Debian and nobody forwards it, we know nothing
> > about it".
>
>   All correct. Thanks, Matthew. I'll just note that the Debian KDE
>   packages receive an incredible amount of bug reports, and that we're
>   understaffed to forward all of them to KDE upstream. In particular, we
>   directly almost never do it for wishlist bugs. My response in [1]
>   explicitly included the sentence:

This is pretty much the way Gentoo handles it too. Users report bugs to
Gentoo, and if it is a Gentoo packaging issue we try to fix it. If we feel it
is a KDE bug we ask the user to report it upstream, i.e. KDE in this case.
Some bugs we patch ourselves and forward the patches upstream, some things we
open the bugs for too. In general we ask the user who encountered the problem
to report the bug upstream if we feel it is an upstream bug.

If the community at large thinks there is a better way to handle this then I
would be interested. I do not expect the KDE developers to check our bugzilla
database though, and assume they know nothing about the bug unless it is
reported in their bug database. We do not forward all these bug reports
personally, but ask the bug reporter to do so. I feel that this is a
reasonable request and on the whole it seems to work well.