Re: Packet radio and foul language

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 20:52 +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 01:03:33AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > How exactly do IP packets get transmitted via packet radio?  Morse
> > code, with binary files uuencoded?
>
> Is that a serious question?

Totally serious, since the only ways that I know that ham operators
can xmit are voice and codes like Morse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code
    Morse code is the only digital modulation mode designed to be
    easily read by humans without a computer, making it appropriate
    for sending automated digital data in voice channels.

> Packet radio IS the layer 1/2, which clearly rules out Morse code.
> In fact, IP is encapsulated into AX.25, which is layer 1/2 for packet
> radio.
>
> But who said anything about IP? Packet radio can carry messages in other
> layer 3/4/5 protocols than IP/TCP/SMTP.

Now that I've read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio I
(think I) understand it better.

    The first amateur packet radio stations were constructed using
    surplus Bell 202 1,200 bit/s modems

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Have you ever thought about just turning off the TV, sitting
down with your kids, and hitting them?"
Bender, Futurama 4ACV06