Re: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=265920

* Matthew Garrett [Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:50:56 +0000]:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
> > i've thought for a long time about how to reply to your message.

> Let's quickly outline what's happened here:

> 1) Luke files a bug agains Debian. So far, so good.
> 2) Some time later, Luke contacts a KDE developer and asks if the bug
> has been fixed.
> 3) The response is, approximately, "This is the first I've heard of it".

> We (Debian) have a bug tracking system in order to keep track of bugs in
> our distribution. It's the job of either the bug submitter or (more
> usually) the Debian maintainer to contact upstream to make sure that
> they're aware of the bug. It is *not* the upstream maintainer's job to
> examine Debian's bug database.

> Which is, uh, pretty much what Dirk said. Luke, what the christ are you
> upset about? Nobody's said "Don't report this bug to us", they've said
> "If you report a bug to Debian and nobody forwards it, we know nothing
> about it".

  All correct. Thanks, Matthew. I'll just note that the Debian KDE
  packages receive an incredible amount of bug reports, and that we're
  understaffed to forward all of them to KDE upstream. In particular, we
  directly almost never do it for wishlist bugs. My response in [1]
  explicitly included the sentence:

    you or some other SE/Linux user may consider reporting the problem
    to upstream KDE, with a good reasoning too.

  I know this is suboptimal, but it's how things are now.

    [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=265920;msg=25

  Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

You cannot achieve the impossible without attempting the absurd.