Re: Packet radio and foul language

Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 09:02 +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
- Do not use foul language; besides, some people receive the lists via packet radio, where swearing is illegal.

This sentence surprised me in quite some ways:

- "besides": besides what? Do not swear, and apart from that, some
people receive it over radio. There seems to be something missing.

- Are there really people known to receive these lists over packet
radio??

- Is swearing actually illegal on packet radio? What authority issues
and enforces those rules?

Yes, the FCC. See part 97 of the FCC rules (US CFR Title 47), specifically § 97.113(1) [0]

- Is it actually true that when sending encoded data over this medium,
it's illegal when it can be decoded in some way into a foul word?
Yes. And actually, it wouldn't be sent encoded that much (unless it's base64 encoded server to server or something), it'd be an ASCII transmission.

Since I know virtually nothing about packet radio, I'd really appreciate
some light shed on these things :)

Glad to help.

73,
Benjamin, KI4CXN