Re: Canonical's business model

[Most of the replies from people appear to have completely missed the
point, but I'll just pick up on this one because it's not so far
off...]

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:52:43AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> It's also important to not completely conflate the people who work for
> Canonical with the actions of Canonical the company.

The primary thing I object to is that the ones doing the conflating
are Canonical themselves. They're forever talking about how great they
are for "giving back to Debian", and all their wonderful
"committments".

> Many people who work
> for companies contribute to free software as part of their job, as a
> hobby, or in that grey area of their days that's partly work and partly
> their own time.  Many of free software's most valuable contributors have
> done this.

Which means that the distinction between Canonical and any other
company is pretty much nothing - except for their continual, offensive
PR effort claiming otherwise.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |