Re: Canonical's business model

[Most of the replies from people appear to have completely missed the
point, but I'll just pick up on this one because it's not so far

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:52:43AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> It's also important to not completely conflate the people who work for
> Canonical with the actions of Canonical the company.

The primary thing I object to is that the ones doing the conflating
are Canonical themselves. They're forever talking about how great they
are for "giving back to Debian", and all their wonderful

> Many people who work
> for companies contribute to free software as part of their job, as a
> hobby, or in that grey area of their days that's partly work and partly
> their own time.  Many of free software's most valuable contributors have
> done this.

Which means that the distinction between Canonical and any other
company is pretty much nothing - except for their continual, offensive
PR effort claiming otherwise.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |