Re: Need for launchpad

On Sunday 08 January 2006 14:32, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:25:28AM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> >
> > Everything what is on https://wiki.launchpad.canonical.com/ is free to
> > use. Read and think again. Or use another example: Amazons code is not
> > free to see, but you can use the interfaces described in their developers
> > documents, same applies to google api.
> > So where is the difference? Everybody is playing with public interfaces,
> > where the sourcecode is non-free. But nobody complains. Without google
> > e.g., as a free, but sourcecode-non-free service, most of the people
> > here, even the cli guys are lost.
>
> Yes, but nobody has proposed making those non-free services a core part
> of Debian development. Yet Frans proposes we do so with Launchpad.

This doesn't work, but using it as helper tool would help the project.
Launchpad itself is not tight to one distribution.

> > Oh, I never signed an NDA, so I've never seen the code, actually I'm not
> > interested in the code, because if I have a problem with the result, I
> > can file bugs against this products, or bug the maintainers of the code
> > in their present irc channel :)
>
> Surely you see this is not good enough for Debian though?

I think I answered that in one of the last replies. Only because OpenOffice is
crashing more times then MS Office, I shouldn't use OpenOffice? Or is the
better way to provide the developers with my experiences of using OpenOffice
and make it better?
Glitches and Bugs is in every software, if not, then we wouldn't have anything
to do :) So, the best way of improving is to use it, and if someone finds a
bug or a glitch or an idea of making the workflow easier and faster, the best
way is to file a bug or kick the developers :)

\sh