Re: Need for launchpad

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 04:48:11PM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> On Sunday 08 January 2006 14:32, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:25:28AM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > > Oh, I never signed an NDA, so I've never seen the code, actually I'm not
> > > interested in the code, because if I have a problem with the result, I
> > > can file bugs against this products, or bug the maintainers of the code
> > > in their present irc channel :)
> >
> > Surely you see this is not good enough for Debian though?
>
> I think I answered that in one of the last replies. Only because
> OpenOffice is crashing more times then MS Office, I shouldn't use
> OpenOffice? Or is the better way to provide the developers with my
> experiences of using OpenOffice and make it better?

I think the best way to help OOo would be to fix the bugs and contribute
those back to the project.

> Glitches and Bugs is in every software, if not, then we wouldn't have
> anything to do :) So, the best way of improving is to use it, and if
> someone finds a bug or a glitch or an idea of making the workflow easier
> and faster, the best way is to file a bug or kick the developers :)

While your powers of persuasion may be super-human, the rest of us find it
more productive to fix the damn bug and submit the fix upstream.  That way,
I get the fix *immediately*, the developers don't have to spend excess time
just trying to understand the problem (before they can begin to fix it), and
everyone benefits.  Less tiring on my kicking leg, too.

That's even *before* you start talking about times when disagreement over
what, or how, or when, or whatever.  Freedom to fork, although one we don't
*want* to exercise, is nonetheless a fundamental freedom.

- Matt