Re: New stable version after Sarge

On 05-Jan 09:30, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> El mié, 05-01-2005 a las 04:16 -0800, Stephen Birch escribió:
> > Paul van der Vlis(paul@vandervlis.nl)@2005-01-04 14:40:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > One of the biggest disadvantages of Debian for me is the long time it
> > > takes for a new stable version.
> >
> > I guess one man's meat is another man's poison.
> >
> > Since I administer a large number of distant computers I view the long
> > time between stable releases as a feature not a bug.
> >
> > > What about saying something like: the next stable release comes in the
> > > beginning of 2006?
> >
> > Once a year works for me, but any more frequent would be a pain in the
> > neck. Frankly a release every 18 months seems about right.
>
>  I agree with you on this. People using stable can not cope with
> upgrades each 6 months or so.

Is that really true? I would love to run "apt-get dist-upgrade" every
half a year. Currently it doesn't get me much. :) Now, for production
systems, don't you do some testing *before* you upgrade the OS?

When debian release on a much fast and predictable schedule, it might
be nice to have longer security support. Maybe the security team would
only really _track_ security related problems and "remind" maintainers
that they needed to update thier debs in Stable-1, and Stable-2.

Thomas