Re: Experiment: poll on "switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?"

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> writes:

> I much prefer vim-tiny over nvi, others have agreed (at least Frans Pop
> and Joey Hess), and not one person so far has actually said they prefer
> nvi over vim--just that they prefer its defaults, which has been
> addressed.

Just to be completely unambiguous about my earlier message, I do indeed
prefer nvi over vim, regardless of how vim is configured.  It's smaller
and it does what I expect, which neither vim in its default mode nor vim
in its compatible mode does.

Also, I prefer not to have to configure my vi to behave like vi, but maybe
that will be changed.  It's not a matter of just configuring it on one
host, like it is with XEmacs.  I only use XEmacs for major editing and can
customize it extensively on the small handful of systems that I use all
the time.  I use vi for routine system administration, configuration file
editing, and all small edits, and I use it on a ton of different Debian
machines from a variety of different accounts that don't all share a
single configuration or set of home directories.  (I realize that other
people feel the same way about vim.  I'm just stating a personal
preference, not arguing that other people's preferences are wrong.)

On the other hand, I don't consider it a major issue and can live with
whatever decision people come to, which is why I voted both alternatives
above further discussion in the straw poll experiment.  :)