Re: Experiment: poll on "switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?"

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
> I have no sympathy for the notion of a "silent majority".  If you have an
> opinion, speak it.  [...]

Hard if you can't hear the question above the NOISE.

> wonder how many people will vote for nvi bacause "nvi is more like
> regular vi than vim".  This is important even for an "informal" poll;

I think that will be dwarfed by the "we love vim" effect.

> a vote is useless if it's heavily skewed, whether it's a poll or a GR.
>
>  - vim-tiny is not much bigger than nvi (numbers?)

Current unstable Installed-Size:
vim-tiny ranges from 696 to 1852 with a median of 898k.
nvi ranges from 560 to 1040 with a median of 648k

vim-tiny depends on the 200k-ish vim-common too, so nvi seems
about half the total size of a vim-tiny today.

>  - even vim-tiny is much preferable to vim users over nvi, even without
>    vim-runtime
>  - vim can behave just like old vi (as nvi does), and will do so when
>    invoked as "vi"

- vim-tiny is on fewer platforms than nvi, which seems as
important as size or accuracy of emulation.

--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask