Re: Experiment: poll on "switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?"

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 02:28:23AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Who knows? It's not currently built for as many. For hurd-i386,
> hppa and s390, nvi is a working editor and vim-tiny isn't. I
> can't remember what counts as support right now (URL anyone?)

I'll have to punt on that one, since I know nothing about those
platforms and why vim might not work on them.  I can't imagine it's
anything major if those are viable platforms at all, though.

> That's an incentive for nvi over vim-tiny, but nvi is the
> current anyway and I don't see many benefits of a change.
> The -devel thread seems to have started with two dubious
> claims: that vim-tiny isn't much bigger and more prefer vim.
> I've questioned the size claim in another subthread and
> surely vim users won't be satisfied by vim-tiny.

I much prefer vim-tiny over nvi, others have agreed (at least Frans Pop
and Joey Hess), and not one person so far has actually said they prefer
nvi over vim--just that they prefer its defaults, which has been
addressed.  I don't know how you can possibly call the claim that more
prefer vim over nvi "dubious"; it's a pretty clear-cut one.

It seems like a mindset I've seen elsewhere: "if you can't get 100%,
settle for 0%".  I'm 75% with vim-tiny, 95% if I'm not programming
(which I'm probably not, if vim-tiny is installed), and 0% with nvi,
and one doesn't always have the ability to install packages.

> Please cc me on replies.

This is the only time I'll do so, to remind you to set Mail-Followup-To.
It's your job to set headers expressing your preferences (which you
only have to do once, in your mailer configuration), not everyone else's
job to manually set your CC every time.  (You've been on these lists for
quite a while; I'm pretty sure you know this ...)

--
Glenn Maynard