Re: /run vs. /lib/run

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:46:33PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Likewise, how do you document the mounting of /run in mtab?

If you start with a read-only /, then no matter what you do, the first
mount command will not be recorded in mtab (unless you implement a mount
daemon that holds mtab in memory until it can write it somewhere).

> Hrm, why don't we use /proc/mounts for mtab information, and have mount
> store _only the extra information it needs_ in /var/run/mtab?

What keeps you from implementing it? :-)

A more technical problem: right now /etc/mtab presents a system-wide
global view, but the contents of /proc/mounts is already a per-process
thing. So if you want to use that, then you need a separate
/var/run/mtab.<pid> for every process (or at least one mtab file per
different namespace; which brings the question how do you detect if the
process changes its namespace).

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences