Re: switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:36:50AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> If the result of this is that a) base is not smaller, and b) vim users
> still have to install vim-nottiny, and c) nvi users now have to
> install nvi, I don't think it's a net win.

My feeling is that having vim-tiny installed is in the middle in the
"amount of features" spectrum among having nvi and having vim-nottiny.
I feel that Joey's (and mine) point in having vim-tiny instead of nvi in
base is that being in the middle of that spectrum is better than being
in the nvi corner, given that the size is comparable.

Of course is a matter of personal opinions and taste, that's why we are
asking here.

> The defaults really need to be changed to match maximum nvi
> compatibility. The problem, of course, is that when someone then
> installs vim-full (or whatever it's called), they don't get the
> benefits of the full vim feature set or standard vim behavior w/o
> modifying the config. Someone noted that it was possible to get
> different behaviour depending on whether vim was started with "vi" or
> "vim" - I think that's probably a good idea, but it may not be enough.
> It's too bad that dpkg-divert doesn't work with config files...

IMO the "vi" vs "vim" choice is enough. And since we can have two
completely different configuration file I agree that in the /etc/vim/vi
we should strive for maximum _vi_ compatibility. If going that direction
makes us more compatible with _nvi_ as well ... ok. If not I believe
that even nvi should make a step forward to be more vi compatible.

Do you have any other suggestion in addition to the two proposed to make
vim more vi compatible?

> Another consideration is that vim-tiny would need to swap priorities
> on the /usr/bin/vi (et. al.) alternative, so that if nvi is installed,
> it becomes the standard vi. But that's more of a packaging detail
> between myself and Stefano.

Agreed.

Cheers.