Re: /run vs /var/run (was: Please test new sysvinit)

Anthony Towns wrote:
> is there any possibility
> of putting it under /lib/run or /boot/early-writable-fs instead of
> introducing a new directory on / that's of very limited use?

That is certainly possible, but I don't see anything wrong with putting
it at the top level either.

FWIW I asked Chris Yeoh for his opinion on the name and he said that
/run sounded preferable to both /etc/run and /lib/run.

> Huh? URL? I'm surprised there isn't at least a pro-forma objection to
> creating a new directory in /.

The main condition is that we have good reasons for adding it.  Also,
its use should be restricted to Debian "infrastructure" packages until
such time as the directory gets officially recognized by the FHS.

> > I do not count "It's ugly!" as a strong reason.
>
> You should; especially since it seems solvable by hiding it in /lib
> alongside /lib/modules.

The problem is that some people find /lib/run uglier than /run.  ;)

--
Thomas Hood