Re: /run vs /var/run (was: Please test new sysvinit)

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 07:38:41PM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > is there any possibility
> > of putting it under /lib/run or /boot/early-writable-fs instead of
> > introducing a new directory on / that's of very limited use?
> That is certainly possible, but I don't see anything wrong with putting
> it at the top level either.
> FWIW I asked Chris Yeoh for his opinion on the name and he said that
> /run sounded preferable to both /etc/run and /lib/run.

Mmm; privately asking someone who works on the FHS is a different thing
to asking on the FHS lists, or actually talking to our users. Claiming
support from the FHS guys on the basis of a conversation with Chris
doesn't seem appropriate; anymore than "-policy support" would be an
appropriate claim if Manoj had said it looked okay.

I note the FHS's limited definition of /lib (essential
libraries and kernel modules) is already incorrect for /lib/udev,
/lib/lsb/init-functions, /lib/linux-sound-base, /lib/terminfo, /lib/alsa,
/lib/alsa-utils, /lib/discover and /lib/init. Especially given our use
of /usr/lib, it seems the most suitable dumping ground for random stuff
like /run; and a far better one than / itself.

> > > I do not count "It's ugly!" as a strong reason.
> > You should; especially since it seems solvable by hiding it in /lib
> > alongside /lib/modules.
> The problem is that some people find /lib/run uglier than /run.  ;)

That's okay; there's normally a much larger burden for creating a
directory in / than one elsewhere.

A possible concern is people seeing /run and thinking "ah, there's a
directory I can use for stuff", and having it be used instead of /var/run
or $TMPDIR or /var/lib or /var/cache for things it's not appropriate for.
It seems to me that /run has /very/ limited use, so should be kept out
of the way.

It'd be nice to have /misc and /usr/misc instead of having package dirs
mixed in with lib*.so, but then, it'd be nice to call it /cnf instead
of /etc too... *shrug*

Cheers,
aj