Re: switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 01:38:57PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> There are obviously users who will prefer nvi to vim (and others who
> prefer some other vi), but I get the impression there are rather more who
> prefer vim, it's probably the most commonly used vi in linux these days.
Count me as an nvi person. Vim is great - but not as the default in
the most basic system, no matter how stripped down.

> One argument I can think of for keeping nvi in base is that it is the
> closest to bug-compatible with the original vi. However, I don't think
> that will prevent hardcore vi users from easily using vim-tiny if
> it's in base.
Will it work fine over a serial console? Is it fine for ex-Solaris/HP-UX
/AIX admins who may have got used to nvi? Unfortunately, the vi/vim
flamewars are not yet concluded :(

All IMHO, ATB,

Andy