Re: switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?

su, 2005-12-18 kello 13:38 -0500, Joey Hess kirjoitti:
> One argument I can think of for keeping nvi in base is that it is the
> closest to bug-compatible with the original vi. However, I don't think
> that will prevent hardcore vi users from easily using vim-tiny if
> it's in base.

I'm one of the people who prefers nvi over vim. I do so quite strongly,
because I find that nvi obeys my fingers and vim does not. The
differences are minute, of course, but they are really irritating.
Unfortunately, I can't enlist them properly, since my fingers don't talk
to me: I notice vim's incompatibility from the fact that my fingers have
to keep correcting text under vim, but not under nvi. On days when I'm
generally annoyed already, if I accidentally use vim instead of nvi, I
can get quite lyrical with my cursing.

I'm not bothered at all by switching nvi with vim-tiny in base. As long
as I can install nvi if I want to, I'm happy. I'd even be happy without
any vi-like editor in base. As long as there is one editor in base that
I can without great difficulty in an emergency (nano seems to qualify),
I don't need anything more.

In fact, given that it's good for base to be small, I'd like to suggest
that we don't have more than one editor there.

--
The most difficult thing in programming is to be simple and
straightforward.