Re: congratulations to our ftp-master team

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:54:34PM +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
> Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:08:52AM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> >

> >That would have been me:
> >
> >http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/04/msg00997.html
>
> at that time, you wrote/
> /
>
> /"So, adding these two tentative conclusions together, it seems
> likely that if mplayer were demonstrated with reasonable certainty to be
> free of MPEG-encoding code, it would be acceptable for inclusion in
> main as far as the FTP-masters are concerned (note: We're not (yet?)
> saying it's *required* to strip MPEG encoding stuff, but in my personal
> opinion, it seems likely that this is what it'll turn out to be. Don't
> take my words on too much value though, maybe stripping this won't be
> required after all, but in any case, if it isn't there, we don't need to
> think/discuss about it -- reinclusion of the encoding stuff can then
> later separately be discussed)."/
>

> I have indeed been waiting to know if  /"it's *required* to strip MPEG "
>
> /ftp-master not responding, still waiting...... ftp-master not
> responding, still waiting........ftp-master not responding, still
> waiting.........ftp-master not responding, still
> waiting.........ftp-master not responding, still
> waiting........ftp-master not responding, still waiting............

While you indeed haven't got a later mail, you also didn't ask for one
to the best of my knowledge (my memory isn't infallible, so I might be
wrong, if so, I'm sorry, please correct me)... Anyway, status is still
basicly the same.

I'm wondering what bit of my last few lines in the quoted email were
unclear. While I specifically noted that removing mpeg encoding stuff
might or might not be required, I explicitely said that stripping it
anyway will make the whole pondering on whether it can be in the
(source) package at all moot for the question whether mpeg encoding
would be legal to ship on ftp.debian.org. To the best of my knowledge,
mpeg encoding stuff is nowhere near the core funcionality of mplayer
anyway, isn't it? Of course, if this way is choosen and is turning out
to work out, later inclusion of the mpeg encoding stuff in mplayer must
be discussed with ftp-master prior to it happening -- we (as in, Debian
users in general) just get to have a chance of a slightly crippled
mplayer in the archive in the meanwhile.

--Jeroen

N.B.: As in all cases, final verdict on whether a package will pass NEW
is made at the time it's sitting in NEW and being processed by an
ftp-master team member

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl