Re: congratulations to our ftp-master team

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:40:09AM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:25:03AM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > I'd like to congratulate our ftp-master team on their ability to timely
> > process packages progressing through the NEW queue.
> >
> > <http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html> [1]
> >
> > I think you are an excellent example of people who are too busy for Debian.

> In my entire involvement with Debian from the development side, I've never
> seen the NEW queue being processed as quickly as it is these days. It used to
> be irritating to me -- it isn't today.
>
> I don't know the details of the three longest-running packages, but I assume you
> asked an ftpmaster about those?

It's a long story, I asked about it in the thread starting at
but got no final answer

It *seems* [1] that ftp-master has its issues about software that *encodes*
mpeg but not about software that decodes it. Either way it makes no sense
to have a package in the queue for a year when the software (i.e. the source
code) that makes it be problematic  is readily available in other packages
and that software can be used for both encoding and decoding [2] and
there's no RC bug asking for their removal from the archive.

Also, patent issues are not listed under the "serious violations" at
http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

So, who knows. Not that xvidcap is critical for me, but it is somewhat
annoying to have it sitting there for no (declared) reason.

Javier

[1] Look at http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/08/msg01562.html
although Joerg says he is not speaking for the team
[2] ffmpeg, package description: multimedia player, server and *encoder*