Re: congratulations to our ftp-master team

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:40:09AM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:25:03AM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > I'd like to congratulate our ftp-master team on their ability to timely
> > process packages progressing through the NEW queue.
> >
> > <http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html> [1]
> >
> > I think you are an excellent example of people who are too busy for Debian.
> In my entire involvement with Debian from the development side, I've never
> seen the NEW queue being processed as quickly as it is these days. It used to
> be irritating to me -- it isn't today.
> I don't know the details of the three longest-running packages, but I assume you
> asked an ftpmaster about those?

It's a long story, I asked about it in the thread starting at
but got no final answer

It *seems* [1] that ftp-master has its issues about software that *encodes*
mpeg but not about software that decodes it. Either way it makes no sense
to have a package in the queue for a year when the software (i.e. the source
code) that makes it be problematic  is readily available in other packages
and that software can be used for both encoding and decoding [2] and
there's no RC bug asking for their removal from the archive.

Also, patent issues are not listed under the "serious violations" at

So, who knows. Not that xvidcap is critical for me, but it is somewhat
annoying to have it sitting there for no (declared) reason.

[1] Look at http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/08/msg01562.html
although Joerg says he is not speaking for the team
[2] ffmpeg, package description: multimedia player, server and *encoder*