Re: congratulations to our ftp-master team

On Wed, December 14, 2005 09:42, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> So, who knows. Not that xvidcap is critical for me, but it is somewhat
> annoying to have it sitting there for no (declared) reason.

While I generally agree with the other posters that NEW queue handling is
going very well, I can also understand that you're getting a bit
frustrated when ftpmaster just keeps on delaying the decision on your
package, to even over a year. It seems the queue is suffering from
starvation: a lot of effort is put in approving new packages as soon as
possible, but the "difficult" packages do not seem to make any progress.

I think the most important problem that inspires many of the frustrated
posts to debian-devel, is that people are just left uncertain. In this
particular case: the FTP-master responsible doesn't make any decision
(either approves or rejects). At least, that's the only thing that's
visible. I take from Anands post that he hasn't been informed recently
about any updates aswell.

If there are still open problems, the best thing would be to communicate
them as clearly as possible. Currently the NEW queue webpage just lists
package, age and bugs closed. Why not add a comments section where the
FTP-master can indicate what has to happen in order for it to be accepted?
The only thing we have now is some postings to this list which are many
months ago, and our own guesswork.

If the problem is that the situation is just very complicated and needs
time: I'd gladly accept for other packages to be queued for a couple of
weeks longer on this point if that would mean that the top-3 packages are
finally decided upon.

Thijs