Re: Debian and the desktop

Hi,

Christian Perrier wrote:

From the D-I team point of view: there are certainly tons of things to
improve in our default installs, especially when we exit the real
domain of D-I and enter the domain of general setup of a default
system.

The point is that this is not the a task for d-i. If an user wants to install the desktop task later on, there is no d-i in the background anymore, but the user experience should be about the same. So it's a packaging issue.

-default sound setup

Sound is symptomatic of a much larger class of problems, namely that there is no system service that forwards resources other than display and keyboard to the user currently logged in. In Unix, the default is to lock people out, so in the default setup there is no sound and USB stick access (the Windows way of allowing anyone to access all devices opens another can of worms). What would be required is some resource forwarding framework in which a priviledged process will pass out handles to sound/usb/floppy/... to anyone who asks via the proper channels (X11 springs to mind, as only clients belonging to the user logged in should have access to the display) or presenting the proper credentials. This would not be a Debian specific solution.

-default wireless setup

This is also related to the clash of the two approaches ("multiuser system with capable admin" versus "single-user personal system where all users need admin priviledge to associate to new APs as they roam with their laptop"). What we need is a solution that handles the in-between cases as well, and it's not Debian specific either.

The most pressing issues are those that lie in system design and are not distribution specific. That Ubuntu doesn't have those issues to the extent Debian has is related to the "single-user with sudo" approach they have taken, but this is not a solution.

   Simon