Re: Alternate proposal for Declassification of debian-private archives

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:35:28 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> (Followups to -vote)
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 08:30:37AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>> The primary reason for this is that the existing messages were sent
>> to debian-private with an expectation of privacy.

> As Matthew pointed out in [0] this expectation of privacy isn't
> really that strong, fundamentally because -private is open to anyone
> who joins Debian, and Debian's open to anyone joining it.

        It would apear your expectations are wildly different from
 mine. Given the figure of the number of people in defence and
 information techni=ology fieilds in the US, and the number of US
 based DD's  whoi have ever been in Debian since the inception of the
 project; the expectation of having a compromising post being known to
 a potential employer is of the order or one in 5000 to one in 10000,
 computing very conservatively.

        Seems like pretty darn decent numbers to me, compared to the
 alternative of making the psot available where any Tom, Dick, or
 Harry can just enter my name in google and get a hit.

        manoj
--
(null cookie; hope that's ok)