Re: Non-DFSG TeXLive stuff [was: Re: texlive-basic_2005-1_i386.changes REJECTED]

On Die, 29 Nov 2005, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> Hmm... in that case, I should mention my experience with XyMTeX, an
> organic chemistry LaTeX package included in TeX Live.  Anyone else who
> wants to comment on non-DFSG-free components of TeX Live may as well
> follow up to this email.
>
> See Debian bug #304714 where I had originally filed an ITP, and the
> thread starting at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/04/msg00408.html where I asked
> about the license.  Unfortunately, when I emailed the author for a

To my reading that thread didn't end in a conclusion that it is not
acceptable.

Furthermore, IMHO, if it would be *not* acceptable, then we would have
to remove all, I repeat  *ALL* LPPL licensed packages.

I guess this is something we don't want to have in Debian.

> > I regret to say that only personal redistribution (except CTAN) is permissible.
> > Thank your for your kind attention to XyMTeX.

This seems strange, I guess there was a misunderstanding, because the
right to distribute the file unchanged is given in the file itself. Hard
to say since we don't see the mail exchange with Shinsaku Fujita.

So I don't see a serious problem here, only if you also want to remove
most TeX package at all.

Best wishes

Norbert

The suit into which the man's body had been stuffed looked
as if it's only purpose in life was to demonstrate how
difficult it was to get this sort of body into a suit.