Re: Non-DFSG TeXLive stuff [was: Re: texlive-basic_2005-1_i386.changes REJECTED]

Norbert Preining wrote:

> To my reading that thread didn't end in a conclusion that it is not
> acceptable.
>
> Furthermore, IMHO, if it would be *not* acceptable, then we would
> have to remove all, I repeat  *ALL* LPPL licensed packages.
>
> I guess this is something we don't want to have in Debian.

Yes, I figured that the LPPL could probably squeak by debian-legal
(otherwise I wouldn't have ITP'ed XyMTeX), but I was more concerned
about the somewhat contradictory-seeming reply from upstream.  Possibly
he has misinterpreted the meaning of the LPPL?  But when there is a
conflict between the written license in the package and the author's
expressly stated wishes, it seems safest to assume that the latter are
valid.

> This [upstream's reply] seems strange, I guess there was a
> misunderstanding, because the right to distribute the file unchanged
> is given in the file itself. Hard to say since we don't see the mail
> exchange with Shinsaku Fujita.

I attach our entire email exchange (with some extraneous headers
removed).  I emailed once, to which he didn't reply; sent a follow-up
email about a week later; and he finally gave the brief reply I quoted
earlier.  Apologies for the top-quoting in this exchange.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of his reply so I didn't follow up
further.  Probably TeX Live or someone else distributing XyMTeX should
do so, though.

--- Begin Message ---
Dear Dr. McCarty

I regret to say that only personal redistribution (except CTAN) is permissible.
Thank your for your kind attention to XyMTeX.

Sincerely Yours

Shinsaku Fujita

--- End Message ---