Re: postinst scripts failing because a new conffile wasn't accepted: Is it a bug?

Hi Petter, hi all,

(Sorry I didn't have time to watch your movies yet)

This thread turned to be very interesting in the light of the recent
discussion on -tetex-maint about TEXMF tree reorganization.

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> Or even better, ship the defaults in /usr/share/, load them from there
> and load overrides from /etc/ if a file exist there.  If you want the
> package to have install time defaults, generate the file in /etc/
> based on install time input.  This way you can handle upgrades
> gracefully when changing the defaults, without loosing local
> configuration overrides.

Actually that wouldn't be hard for teTeX, since it looks for texmf.cnf
at multiple places and reads them all.  Even the order is as intended -
a file in /etc/texmf would override settings from the file in
/usr/share/texmf.

However, I don't see how I can handle the fact that there is an unknown
number of add-on-TeX-packages that might each provide a snippet for the
configuration file.  Currently we do this with an update-texmf program
that merges the snippets in /etc/texmf/texmf.d/ (ours and from add-on
packages) into the effective configuration file below /var.  Having
three files - ours in /usr/share/texmf/, a package-specific, generated
one in /var/lib/texmf with the source files in /etc/texmf/texmf.d/, and
the one for the local admin as /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf seems confusing to
me.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster